Cr Samantha McIntosh (RCA – Immediate Past Chair) with the Hon Alan Tudge MP (Minister for Population, Cities and Urban Infrastructure).
Regional Capitals Australia Chair, Mayor Shane Van Styn was joined in Canberra this week by Immediate Past Chair, Cr Samantha McIntosh to talk regional Australia with Federal politicians in the lead up to the 2020-21 Budget.
Mayor Shane Van Styn and Cr Samantha McIntosh met with regional policy leaders from both sides of politics including the Hon Alan Tudge MP, Minister for Population, Cities and Urban Infrastructure and the Hon Catherine King MP, Shadow Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development to deliver and discuss our 2020-21 Budget Submission aimed at creating sustainable growth in regional Australia.
A long list of Regional Capitals Australia priorities were discussed at these meetings. This included the following key issues outlined in our 2020-21 Budget Submission:
- Regional Deals;
- National Population Plan;
- Regional Growth Fund;
- Building Better Regions Fund
- Fast Rail;
- Regional Airports; and
- Regional Work and Student Visas.
Other offices met with include:
- The Hon Dan Tehan MP, Minister for Education;
- The Hon David Coleman MP, Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs;
- The Hon Mark Coulton MP, Minister for Regional Services, Decentralisation and Local Government;
- The Hon Ken Wyatt MP, Minister for Indigenous Australians; and
- Senator the Hon Kristina Keneally, Shadow Minister for Immigration and Citizenship
Regional Capitals Australia Chair Mayor Shane Van Styn said “these meetings have been extremely valuable both in communicating our priorities and getting an understanding of the Governments current focus”
“We will continue to work closely with all sides of government to secure great outcomes for our regions” he said.